What's in our Name?
The city of Paris, France, is known for its many architectural and aesthetic marvels and its many historical squares and plazas.
But perhaps none is so central than the Place de la Concorde, formed by the mouth of the famous Champs-Élysées, the building of the French Naval Ministry, the Tuileries Garden, and the River Seine.
At 21.63 acres, the Place de la Concorde is the largest square in the French Capitol.
Place de la Concorde’s history is certainly illustrious, as it housed the guillotine during the French Revolution, where King Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette met their demise.
From executions to celebrations, the plaza has become an integral part of daily French life over the centuries.
In the middle of the Concorde sits the striking Obelisk of Luxor, an amazing over-sized gift from Egypt in 1833 to the French King Louis-Phillipe.
Engineer Jean Baptiste Apollinaire LeBas was commissioned the challenging task of building a custom barge and using a steamer to transport the 280-ton, 75-foot priceless obelisk from Alexandria to Paris.
Today the Obelisk of Luxor stands in the Place de la Concorde just as tall and erect as it did almost 3000 years ago.
Principals Joe and William LeBas have named our firm Concorde Group Holdings to symbolize their ancestor’s vision and planning and to represent our firm’s goal of revitalizing great assets in great locations.